¶ Abortion and Family Planning
- McCrory described himself as “extremely pro-life.”
- As governor, McCrory broke his “no new restrictions” pledge and signed numerous pieces of legislation that restricted abortion.
- McCrory signed legislation that required students to be taught that abortions increased the risk of premature child birth.
- McCrory signed a law requiring healthcare providers to who perform an abortion after 16 weeks to provide the ultrasound to state officials.
- In 2015, McCrory extended North Carolina’s abortion waiting period to 72 hours, tripling the waiting period for women seeking an abortion.
- In 2013, McCrory signed legislation that tightened restrictions on abortion including forcing clinics to meeting expensive licensing requirements, holding abortion clinics to the same standards as those for outpatient surgical facilities. The bill resulted in the closure of Western North Carolina’s only abortion clinic in 2014.